This perfect dessert dish is incredible hot from the oven, warmed and topped with ice cream or whipped topping, or sliced cold and served with a glass of milk. This delicious apple pie starts with fresh, ripe, Braeburn apples combined with fresh lemon juice for bite, apple butter for smoothness, and a touch of honey and vanilla for added sweet. The filling is dropped into a crunchy whole wheat and oatmeal crust. Topped with a second crust and baked until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. An excellent pie for the winter holidays, this is a great dessert to make year round. Late summer apple pie is ideal for brunch, picnics, late night snacks or as an elegant finish to a gourmet meal.
Cooks Notes: If you can’t locate Braeburn apples, use your favorite sweet, slightly tart apple variety.
Late Summer Apple Pie
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Ground Oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons Ice Cold Water
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Butter
8 cups Braeburn Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
3 tablespoons Apple Butter
1 tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 tablespoons Honey
1 Vanilla Bean, cut open lengthwise and seeds scraped out
1. Place all crust ingredients in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Add flour, oatmeal and salt to medium bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Add apple cider vinegar and water to small bowl. Whisk to combine.
4. Cut olive oil and butter into flour mixture using pastry blender.
Stop when mixture resembles small pea size balls of dough.
5. Drizzle vinegar and water mixture into dough. Toss dough with fork until the entire dough is evenly moist.
6. Form dough into two even size dough balls, 1 slightly larger than the other.
7. Press both dough balls into 6-inch disks. Wrap both in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator 1 hour, up to overnight.
8. Remove dough from the refrigerator, unwrap, and place between two sheets of fresh plastic wrap. Roll the larger disk into a 12-inch circle.
9. Place the rolled dough into the pie plate, by removing top plastic wrap and inverting it into a glass pie plate.
10. Repeat rolling process for second dough disk. Place on flat surface and refrigerate for later use.
11. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
12. Add apple slices and flour to large mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
13. In separate bowl, add apple butter, fresh lemon juice, salt, honey and vanilla. Stir to combine and then add to apple mixture. Toss with apple mixture until apples are well coated.
14. Spoon the apples into the pie crust. Spread evenly and press down gently.
15. Remove top crust from refrigerator and place over pie filling. Trim seal and crimp edges.
16. Use a small sharp knife to cut several slits in the top of pie for steam to escape.
17. Bake 15 minutes.
18. Reduce temperature to 350 F.
19. Bake an additional 45 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling bubbly.
20. Allow cooling for 1 hour before slicing.
An incredible apple pie that is certain to please any crowd.
Take a cooking class today and learn how the professionals make amazing pies and desserts, or head over to http://www.ApplePieRecipe.net and select an apple pie recipe from the finest tasting apple pie recipes in the world.
More Apple Juice Articles